Hello there, welcome to Doris & Fred
I thought you might like to know a little bit about me
- My name is Wendy Flynn
- Doris and Fred were my grandparents
- I live in South West London with my wonderful husband and young son.
- I am an Artist specialising in surface pattern design and Illustration
- I started making notebooks in 2014 as gifts for friends, after a while I popped a few on Facebook and people loved them, Christmas 2014 I made about 300 personalised pocket notebooks!
- Since then my collection has grown as customers have requested different types of books, to make their lives more organised.
- I continue to create more patterns for the covers, usually doodling while watching tv and have plans for lots of new products
- I have been creating art for as long as I can remember, it is all I ever wanted to do.
- I have a degree in Graphic design from Bath Spa University College (way back in 1998)
- I spent most of the 3 years in the darkroom and on the computer, drawing with my mouse. (I was the only illustrator in my year to primarily use a computer, which seems really odd now!)
- I love to draw with India ink, using a sharpened stick, or dip pen, this comes from a mark making class in the textiles portion of my foundation course, I still have the stick i used then (in 1994!)
- I also love using Illustrator and photoshop to enhance my doodles and add colour and sometimes texture.
- Sometimes my work starts from a drawing, sometimes it just sort of happens on the computer, it depends on the day!
- I learned all about colour and pattern design whilst working for Trend studio D-CipherFM from 1999 to 2006.
- I love to take photographs of everything around me, patterns and just things that interest me, from food to flowers to lines painted on the street! This used to involve carrying a bulky camera around all the time but thanks to my phone I can do this without too much sighing from those around me. These pictures inspire me and sometimes become part of my work.
- I am happiest near the sea or in my favourite park in the sunshine.
- My Inspiration comes from a variety of sources,
- Artists I love - Jasper Johns, Martin Parr, Carolyn Gavin, M.Sasek, Jim Field and Rob Biddulph
- Things I love... hanging out with my family, taking photos, listening to 90s indie music, having a cheeky dance, baking cakes, watching tv box sets, finding cool vintage fabrics, good pizza, burritos the size of your head, chocolate, a meal with good friends.
5 things you might not know about me…..
- I am addicted to Diet coke
- I have a slight hoarding problem (see the stick mentioned above)
- My son is named after a Painter, a Musician and a Norse God!
- I can't wear high heels
- I love to make lists!
I am always up for new product ideas or collaborations Please get in touch if you are interested, or with any commissions or Licensing deals, either by email firstname.lastname@example.org or through the contact me page.